You don't know how true your words are.

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
"martinborough"
post Mar 3 2003, 07:03 PM
Post #2

Guests

i think you can cellar it no worries,most people drink champagne too young,the trick is to not let your wife know how much you paid for it

+Quote Post
"flex"
post Mar 2 2003, 05:54 PM
Post #3

Guests

Thanks all for your input. I do prefer my champagne older. Was very suprised when my 1970 Dom (consumed recently ) still had fizz and a lovely honey and nut character. By the way I did purchase that at auction. I note every one is in agreeance as to blanc de Blanc aging best. You have all sold me on 82. I've got my eye on a Dom Rose' from 82. Any ideas where I can get Comtes de Champagne, any vintage, with the large label?

+Quote Post
"aaron"
post Mar 1 2003, 01:02 PM
Post #4

Guests

Had a couple of 82's recently. DP & Krug. Simply stunning and remarkably youthfull. Wish I had more in the cellar.

+Quote Post
"Scott"
post Feb 28 2003, 07:23 PM
Post #5

Guests

Flex,

well it's a little simpler than some would have you believe.
1. storing - it doesn't really matter, there is little consensus on a single thing amongst the great champagne houses. whatever is easiest.
Lying down is usually most space efficient, but the atmospheric pressure inside the bottle means the cork won't dry out. Many houses hold that view, many don't. To think either is definitive is wrong.

2. ageing - well it all depends on whether you like them mature or not. lot's don't.
Dom can be a great age'er but not always - I think 90 is the only one for long ageing in last 15 - 20 years . Champagne is always susceptible to poor storage, heat etc. do not buy at auction.
As they age they lose bubbles, which is important as they become a different wine - are you sure that's what you want?

3. 1982 was a great vintage, easily the best of the decade. it was warm and ripe, and some of the wines aren't showing their best right now. I have been working my way through some 1982 Salon recently and even that is showing quite a bit of age - and I know it's history since birth! ohmy.gif)
A warm champagne vintage doesn't quite have the same acidity and structure and I think 82 isn't a sure thing 20 years on.
Blanc de blanc's age best, but they show the greatest change in the actual wine.
if you're not sure, I would advise you not to.

either way have fun - and if you're offered a really good deal on mature champagne, be wary.

+Quote Post
"Dietmar"
post Feb 28 2003, 03:32 PM
Post #6

Guests

(1) store on side - esp. for long term for any leakage!
(2) 88 Dom - excellent and for the long haul - I drink my Doms at 20-25 years and they are always fresh and bubbly (gr8 vintages only!). However, many prefer to drink after release within a few years - depends on storing condistions and personal taste (most drink young ones that are tart and ripping with acid; me I prefer the subtle hints of honey and toast and cashews, and creamy apples). Depending on your cellar, should do another 10 years easy - 1988 in general are very very high acid wines and will last ages.
(3)LPGS - another top wine - depending on the release date of the blend, no hurry to drink up. I recently had a 87/88 release that was superb.
(4) 82 was a fantastic vintage and still is (though Parker disagrees - reckoning they are now on the downhill slope but he is the ONLY dissenting one I know of with that view). My experience shows the better ones have been the blancs de blancs which are magnificent. 82 is considered one of the top 3 Champagne vintages of the 1980s with the 88s and 89s.

One of the greatest myths is that champagne doesn't store well or age well - this is rubbish. In fact, my experince shows the best champagnes like Krug last longer than just about any whites except stickies like d'Yquem but the important and essential proviso is they MUST be stored at 13C-17C and not warmer! Champagnes are very high in acid and the seal is superior to normal corks and the high pressure inside the bottle forecfully keeps oxygen out according to Tom Stevenson's book on the Champagne.

I am getting mixed responses to a very basic question...HELP! Should Champagne be stored laying on its side or upright. Also can I have opinion on the drinking window for 88 Dom (Bottles)and LP Grand Siecle. One more... Opinons please as to the quality of Vintage 82 in Champagne.

+Quote Post
"Flex"
post Feb 28 2003, 01:03 PM
Post #7

Guests

I am getting mixed responses to a very basic question...HELP! Should Champagne be stored laying on its side or upright. Also can I have opinion on the drinking window for 88 Dom (Bottles)and LP Grand Siecle. One more... Opinons please as to the quality of Vintage 82 in Champagne.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 11:56 AM