Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Cellaring Wine
"new free member"
post Nov 22 2007, 10:38 AM
Post #1

Guests

Peter I don't believe you will do anything like cook the wine at those temperatures. The key thing in cellaring is to minimise the daily temperature variations (preferably to less than you seem to have) and also the seasonal variations (to a lesser extent). Also my theory is the daily actual bottle contents temperature variation is not as much as the room temperature variation so I may not worry too much about 2-3deg. Minimising variations is to prevent too much expansion/contraction and thus risk of leakage from the corks. Then, if you can keep the overall temperatures down to 12-15deg you can mature the wines over their recommended lifetime. If higher, they will mature faster and perhaps if too high they will take on unwanted flavours and characteristics. This could be more of a problem with some varieties than others. My own cellar is far from ideal (that being 12-15 all year) going up to 22 in Summer, yet I have not experienced any noticable issues. If you search the internet there are some articles on cellaring environments and guidance you can find to help further. Lastly, my good friend stores wine in his garage in insulated cupboards and just drinks it earlier than might be possible if it was cellared at lower temperatures - we still enjoy his good wines too.

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
"Peter Hickey"
post Jun 14 2003, 11:08 AM
Post #2

Guests

Gidday all.
i have a small wine collection (30 cases) with a 3-10 year storage horizon.
Currently housed in an understairs cupboard in the centre of the house which has a daily variation of around 2-3C and a seasonal variation of around 5C. Absolute temps range between 16C to 21C during the year.
Planning to insulate the cupboard with 10cm EPS and store the wines in brocoli boxesto further improve the daily temp stability.
Will the wines be OK or am I cooking them at the 16-20C temp?
Regards
Peter

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 03:01 PM