Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join )

Cellarmasters
"Rodney"
post Oct 5 2002, 08:41 AM
Post #1

Guests

What is the story with Cellarmasters wines?

In their brochure I often see a lot of their wines have won Trophies and numerous Gold Medals but I've never seen any of them reviewed by the Penguin GWG or Halliday's Wine Companion or the Bradley Guide. Why not?

I know they are reviewed in Winestate but I wondered whether Winestate was actually owned by the same company that owns Cellarmasters. Is it? If it is, then obviously the reviews need to be treated with a grain of salt.

Also, if I buy a Maglieri Shiraz from Cellarmasters is it the same wine as the Maglieri Shiraz that I can buy at a bottle shop? If not is it better or worse? Same goes for all brands available on Cellarmasters. The names and labelling are often slightly different. Are they just disposing of thier 2nd rate wine by this method or are the members getting something better than the general public?

Any comments welcome?

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
"lantana"
post Oct 10 2002, 10:30 AM
Post #2

Guests

I remember speaking to one of the fellows that worked with CM years ago, at a social engagement. He said that CM were forever sourcing wines that they could label themselves & therefore not have any competition on those items. I'm not sure about established labels such as Fox Creek, but I would hazard a guess that CM approaches wineries & commits to buy an entire vintage of a particular wine, to enable them to have a monopoly on said wine.
I know of a hardware chain (ex Hardware House, now Bunnings), that says if you find the same item cheaper elsewhere, they will beat the competitor's price by 10%. What they don't tell you is that they only stock items that they have exclusivity on. I think CM operate on a similar system, without the 10% discount offer.
TORB brought up the fact that the ACCC wasn't interested, but surely at the very least, this is misrepresentative to the consumer, in which case I would think Dr Fels should dig a little bit deeper into these practices.
lantana

+Quote Post
"Rodney"
post Oct 10 2002, 07:50 PM
Post #3

Guests

Thanks for the replies.

They seem to reinforce my existing philosophy of being careful about buying from CM. I think I'll stick to the wines that have been independently assessed through the show system or Winestate.

Funnily enough 2 of their wines are in the latest Penguin GWG which I saw after posting my message.

Cheers.

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd February 2020 - 05:25 PM