Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Winelife is more than a website....
"simm"
post Apr 14 2004, 03:05 PM
Post #1

Guests

Geez, you, you, you (out of jealousy)...

No need to justify, just joking about the biff.

all the best,
Simm

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
"tgn"
post Apr 9 2004, 12:03 PM
Post #2

Guests

simm, rest assured no biff intended but I am a stickler for accuracy and transparency and I felt some of the communication (going back to the Winepros takeover/jv) was not very informative and certainly less than open.
Took a while to drag out the facts but we got there in the end.
We are after all 'quasi' shareholders and don't deserve to be treated like 'mushrooms'.
Looking forward like you to the TN,s and articles from the 'new' regime and getting the boring old website updated and current!
Will try to concentrate on wine issues from now on unless provoked!
Got some Arras to go with the vodka and lime infused oysters later today and really looking forward to some Wendourie 1990 Shiraz with my Boneless roast of barbequed lamb leg on sunday.
Have a good one!
cheers

+Quote Post
"simm"
post Apr 8 2004, 10:57 AM
Post #3

Guests

hahahahah...tgn, I hope you're not just in it for the biff! :-)

This forum was my first and I feel the same way as Daz. If everything became more worthwhile I might well consider putting money in again. Either way, I will always post TN's here, and respond to other's.

Thanks Anthony, Personally I think the notes get a little too lyrical and long winded, but hey, who can help it, it's wine. The good side of all of these poats recommendations, gripes etc, is that you know these people care enough to stick around and make them. It is all to easy to go elsewhere for all the reasons already stated.
So, to you and Andrew I say: Keep at it lads, we're all behind your impending succes in sorting it all out.

Have a great Easter forumites, until Wednesday!

cheers!!
Simm

+Quote Post
"daz"
post Apr 7 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #4

Guests

Simm, the "floating toad' analogy got me smile.gif) - still smiling. Tony's right about your TN's. You express your experiences of wines with great clarity.

And yes, I'm sure that those of us who do still contribute to this forum as well as using the Clique access, wonder where Winepros is going. The systems are obviously dated, software and hardware, as evidenced by the slow logon menioned by tgn and by comparison to the formats of other forums to which we both contribute.

As I mentioned in the post that started this thread my major concern, seconded by tgn, is the currency of Halliday's winery/wine assessments. His writings have greatly influenced me and I find that most of his assessments are very similar to most TNs on other sites, though at times more generous than others and myself would award some individual wines.

That Anthony telephoned me and has also weighed into this discussion may been seen to be encouraging, indeed it is, as it displays concern for the investment in Winepros.

Monthly updates to the site should be an improvement on what's not been happening for the last year or so. But will those updates, as with the latest, be simply rehashes of articles from the Clique archives and/or from dated "Australian" columns, such as the one about Rutherglen fortifieds I read a year or more ago?

Winepros was unequivocally the best, most comprehensive one-stop resource available for (particularly Australian) wine information when it was, initially, free. I subscibed when it became obviously necessary to financially support Winepros.

I'm attempting here to restrain my cynicism so would appreciate a complete, up-front, clear and definitive exposition of Mr Halliday's contractual obligations to Winepros, particularly those obligations that directly relate to information supplied by Mr Halliday that is available to subscribers to
Winepros; specifically, is he obliged and contracted to supply regular updates to tasting notes of wines from wineries already included in the archives and all of those that are not already included in the archives?

Anthony?

daz

+Quote Post
"tgn"
post Apr 7 2004, 03:07 PM
Post #5

Guests

Another 'outdated Board announcement dated 16 oct 2001 states that Chariot Internet would not proceed with the ewinexchange acquisition at this time ..............' though this one does not appear to have made it to the internet!
Boring.........back to the TN's
Cheers

+Quote Post
"Anthony"
post Apr 7 2004, 02:37 PM
Post #6

Guests

Dear Tgn
Thanks for that I will take it up with the board of Directors of Chariot.
Although my Operations Manager Andrew is correct
and the press release is outdated.
regards
Anthony

+Quote Post
"Antrhony"
post Apr 7 2004, 02:25 PM
Post #7

Guests

Thanks Simm
We thought that we where the only people in the world that made mistakes. Although we try not too! Nice tasting notes by the way.
Anthony Horlin-Smith

+Quote Post
"tgn"
post Apr 7 2004, 01:54 PM
Post #8

Guests

I was merely quoting from Press Releases issued by The Board of Directors of Chariot and published on the Internet!

Go to 'Google' type 'chariot ewinexchange' and the first two articles will be 'The Press Releases' I am referring to.

If you say they are incorrect then the Board should have them removed or recinded as they are at best misleading.

Cheers

+Quote Post
"simm"
post Apr 7 2004, 01:54 PM
Post #9

Guests

Wooooh, now that's a raw nerve. Talk about taking it personally, and so you should. Have you guys looked at other sites recently. Winepro's is outrageously outdated by comparison. Blimey, just to get from page to page takes far too long, there is no edit facility, and the list could go on forever. Ordinarilly I wouldn't have even bothered saying these things, but there is so much response from Admin. about how much your putting into the site and how good the future will be and seems to me the only real input is coming from forumites.

I understand you have taken on a floating toad but don't take it out on tgn for having legitimate concerns. This kind of manner was the sort of response that had others boo'd off the forum in ages past.
Daz, I was charged $30 freight for a tasting booking recently, so don't think these Wineyadayada are the only ones who have problems with their 'etail.

With regards,
simm

+Quote Post
"Winepros Admin"
post Apr 7 2004, 08:22 AM
Post #10

Guests

Trevor,

Can you tell me *where* the quote from the 'Internet' came from, as if you look at the ASX site (Yes, Chariot is a publically listed company code CTI) you will see the arrangement never went through as i had clearly stated the obvious in my previous post. Please confirm yur source as it is clearly incorrect! Is this matter clear now?

+Quote Post
"tgn"
post Apr 6 2004, 10:04 PM
Post #11

Guests

Andrew,

Quote from Internet dated 11 May 2001

'Chariot Internet to benefit from investment in wine industry.

The Australia wine industry is expected to receive major flow-on benefits from the acquisition by Chariot Internet limited of wine company ewinexchange limited.

Chariot Managing Director Mr Gary Chua and ewinexchange Managing Director Mr Robert Horlin-Smith announced the acquisition at 4:00pm CST today.

etc etc ......................'

Unless the transaction was NOT approved at the EGM in September 2001 it looks to me from the above that Chariot does in fact own ewinexchange!! Perhaps you could clarify?

cheers

+Quote Post
"Winelife Admin"
post Apr 6 2004, 11:31 AM
Post #12

Guests

tgn,

As a matter of fact, ewinexchange/Winelife is *not* owned by Chariot Internet, we are in fact a privately-owned company owned primarily by the Horlin-Smith and Byrne families (yes, the Managing Director of Chariot Internet, Robert Horlin-Smith is also a shareholder of ewinexchange limited). Can i ask exactly where you got your inforation from, as it is incorrect and the source obviously needs updating!

Cheers, Andrew.

+Quote Post
"tgn"
post Apr 6 2004, 10:51 AM
Post #13

Guests

Daz,
Your note obviously hit a raw nerve if you got one of the 'heavies' to call you.
You may be interested to know that rather than 'Cellarmasters', Winepros/Winelife is owned by an Adelaide based listed company called Chariot Internet (an ISP)whose major shareholders appear to be H.T. Chua Holdings and the Horlin-Smith family.

I agree with you on the outdated Archival material, as the Tasting Notes were my MAJOR reason for subscribing to Winepros. They have to be kept current or they are of limited value, as the older wine tasted is usually unavailable.

Two examples from the latest Kemeny's brochure highlight dated tasting notes from Halliday, neither of which I can find on the Winepros website!
One of them with the date even gives winepros.com.au as the source!!

1. Jamiesons Run Coonawarra Cab Sav 2001 $11.99 by the dozen with a free magnum of something worth $40.
TN - JH Weekend Australian 5/4/2003.
Winelife price $17.99 I believe?

2. Devils Lair Marg River Cab Sav 2002
$44.99 by the dozen.
TN - JH 29/9/2003 winepros.com.au
Winelife don't appear to stock this one.

Like you I hope Winelife can prosper. Etailing is tough but you have to have a quality product to be a player in the game.
Cheers

+Quote Post
"daz"
post Apr 5 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #14

Guests

It seems the Winedead post was a woodenspooner. Anthony Horlin-Smith the/one of the owners of Winelife called today and I thank him for doing so. No, Winelife is not associated with Cellarmasters - that's a relief. Haven't received any electronic or hardcopy mail from them for a while now - phew!

The freight issue was a software mix-up with postcodes, related to a change of freight carriers. $12.10/case is much more reasonable - $1/btl is reasonable and keeps the labels I know to below rrp. Last year I rejected an opportunity to buy wine much recommended by Ric(TORB), direct from the winery, because I thought $33/case excessive. Anthony did point out that free freight to Capital cities costs Winelife $7+/case - damn, I'm subsidising Winelife's subsidisation of metropolitan dwellers! It seems wine etailing ain't easy. I recall emailing Winerobot(?) or some such similar a couple of years ago, about a wine I wanted to buy. Got a response that the wine was on order but never had a reply to one or two follow-up emails. We all expect quality service these days.

As I was at work when Anthony called, I really couldn't get into Winepros issues, though I'm sure that those of us who still browse the forum and haunt the members'-only areas have some concerns. First and foremost for me is the archival material. I've seen TN's by James Halliday (probably from his "Australian" column, perhaps from his annual publication) included in at least one other etailer's promos that aren't in the members' areas. The questions being, does Winepros/Winelife have access to all of JH's notes and will the archive be updated to include them? There is a large volume of info there - the now outdated software and hardware must be problematical.

Anthony, I'm sure we all wish the Winepros/Winelife partnership the best, to best reward us all.

Thank you again for your Winelife insights.

Regards

daz

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th February 2020 - 08:07 PM