jba

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
"HLee"
post Jul 28 2000, 05:07 PM
Post #2

Guests

I know it sound luxurious but how about a nice cold brut champagne to go with the oily fish and chips? Personally I would prefer a Laurent Perrier or Charles Hiedsieck. Let me know what you think.

+Quote Post
"Cabernet"
post Jul 1 2000, 02:37 PM
Post #3

Guests

Try an Australian sparkling (white)with your fish & chips! Good for the honeymoon to!
Cheers Cabernet

+Quote Post
"Cabernet"
post Jul 1 2000, 02:40 PM
Post #4

Guests

Never forget Semillon. Especially old ones like a Peter Lehmann!

Rosemount is trying hard propably quite good.
Cheers
Cabernet

+Quote Post
"Jeff Shore"
post Jun 13 2000, 12:17 PM
Post #5

Guests

Actually, I avoided garrulousgg's suggestion because...pause for shame...I have never had a Semillion wine. Why? Well, I'll just quote Ms. Robinson on this one: "In North America Semillon is generally rather scorned..." As such, it is rarely available -- the only brand I could find here would be a basic Rosemount. Worth it?

And, once in Tassie, I promise that I shall remedy my Semillon-lacking life...

+Quote Post
"TonyD"
post Jun 9 2000, 03:24 PM
Post #6

Guests

Jeff
Not nearly as knowledgable (or garrulous) as GG, but I do enjoy my fish and chips, and I agree entirely with his suggestion (which I noted that you skated straight past!) of a zesty young semillon. Anything from the Hunter, with Tyrrells preferred. Sublime. Takes me back to last summer, sitting on the sundeck....nurse, my medication, please!

+Quote Post
"Jeff Shore"
post Jun 9 2000, 03:32 AM
Post #7

Guests

Thanks for your response! Though I have received quite an outpouring of suggestions, I am most certainly eager to hear what you have to say -- based on your opinionated and thoughtful postings on winepros I have much respect for your opinions.

The riesling sounds like a smashing idea, and as it is one of our favorite types of wines that should be quite fun.

And yes, we shall certainly make sure that the fish and chips are "up to standard"; we can be quite picky about that for Americans. I am looking forward to trying the fare at the Lower Deck at Mures in Hobart, but if anyone has any other suggestions (preferrably a tiny little stand near some coast) in Tasmania, I would of course love to hear your ideas.

Thanks again.

+Quote Post
"garrulousgg"
post Jun 7 2000, 02:12 PM
Post #8

Guests

Hi Jeff,
Firstly, have a GREAT time in Tasmania in July.What a fantastic way to spend your honeymoon (assuming of course that your betrothed enjoys wine as much as you obviously do!) I was going to post a detailed response to your initial enquiry but given the number of responses you did receive,I think you've probably been bombarded with enough info to see you through. Again,have a top trip.
What I find works well with fish and chips is a young zesty,limey riesling or a vital young semillon.
Make sure the fish and chips are up to standard though!!
Cheers and all the best,Geoff

+Quote Post
"Jeff Shore"
post Jun 7 2000, 04:58 AM
Post #9

Guests

Thanks to everyone for their extremely helpful responses re: Tasmania. Now, I have another strange question: is there any appropriate wine to enjoy with fish and chips, or should I just give up and drink beer?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2019 - 01:32 AM