Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Visiting Hunter Valley, We want to visit the top 50 wineries in the Hunter valley area i
Rating 1 V

night_queen
post Jun 23 2016, 07:57 PM
Post #1

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 60,114

QUOTE (arkinst @ Sep 3 2013, 02:53 PM) *
Some to consider are (depending on your definition of Top 50):

Draytons
Wynwood
Gundog
Audrey Wilkinson
Tulloch
Pokolbin Estate
Tamburlaine
Capercallie
Peppertree
De Illius
Misty Glen
Callais
Littles
Cruikshanks
Two Rivers
McGuigans for some bargains

Accidentally I intend to visit Hunter Valley this summer. Thanks a lot for your information
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Blackwell
post May 28 2014, 11:06 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 48,988

When visiting the Hunter Valley NSW it is always worth your time to visit the Tourist Information Centre on Wine Country Drive Pokolbin just near Cessnock Airport & Crown Resorts Golf Course. Here you will receive suggestions about Wineries and Cellar Doors to visit that provide tasting for your enjoyment. Remember it is a tasting so that you can decide which of the Hunter Valley Wines you truly enjoy to drink and if you do like these buy some, tasting is sometime free but you do have some requirement to give back to the Winemaker, either through purchasing or by letting them know your thoughts on their wines, if you like the wine tell them and if you don't be careful how you tell them. (smile)

Another thing to take into account is that when you talk to the local people at the Tourist Centre they may also recommend 'relatively unknown' private Cellar Doors that grow their own grapes and make their own wines on site, so if you are looking for wines outside of the retail square that can't be purchased anywhere other than the Cellar Door then take their advice and checkout a few.

Not all Cellar Doors make their own Wines which is another issue altogether as several dozen Cellar Doors such as Old School buildings, Churches and like are retail outlets only, they have truly beautiful wines to taste. However....these may have a beautiful vineyard surrounding the Cellar Door but do not make their wines there as these are made by a few contract Winemaking Facilities in the Hunter. Also check the label of the wines you intend to buy as not all of the wines that you will taste will have been made from 100% Hunter grown grapes infact some will be made from Grapes grown entirely outside of the Region as I have been caught out several times. You go to the Hunter Valley to taste Hunter Wines not Wines from Orange, Canberra and sometimes South Australia and other parts of Australia.

So whenever you come to the Hunter Valley Wine Region I trust you will be impressed by the Helfull and Friendly Staff at all Cellar Doors and in many cases you may meet the 'Owners' and in a few rare cases you will get to meet the Winemakers...that is the person who makes the Wine for you to enjoy, Cheers KB (@ Cellar Door Hunter Valley NSW)

+Quote Post
acattain@bigpond...
post Apr 29 2014, 02:21 PM
Post #3

Member No.: 12,143

You really can't beat Tyrrell's and Mount Pleasant for range and value.

+Quote Post
arkinst
post Sep 3 2013, 02:53 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 50,878

Some to consider are (depending on your definition of Top 50):

Draytons
Wynwood
Gundog
Audrey Wilkinson
Tulloch
Pokolbin Estate
Tamburlaine
Capercallie
Peppertree
De Illius
Misty Glen
Callais
Littles
Cruikshanks
Two Rivers
McGuigans for some bargains

+Quote Post
TwinBridges
post Nov 29 2012, 12:25 AM
Post #5

Member No.: 49,118

QUOTE (GoffD @ Dec 18 2009, 05:13 PM) *
Can someone help with a list of the wineries of the Hunter Valley? A Top 50 as well maybe? looking forward to a visit in the new year

Can I suggest Twin Bridges Wines? We are a small boutique winery and we make up for our lack of size with enthusiasm and passion.

There are so many smaller wineries, if you take the time to drive up the quiet lanes you will most likely stumble across a completely hidden gem.

Good Luck with your exploring the Hunter Valley!

+Quote Post
ljene
post Jul 3 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #6

Member No.: 29,844

The Hunter Valley has large name wineries, like Lindeman's and McGuigans, and many niche producers. I recommend the little wineries, off the paved tracks, for uniqueness and variety. Blueberry Hill, for example, is small, wonderful and a few years ago produced an amazing pinot noir port.

+Quote Post
richiedook
post Dec 23 2010, 06:26 PM
Post #7

Member No.: 31,281

definately visit Mistletoe Winery. Pretty well anything I have purchased is excellent value for money

+Quote Post
Jam
post Nov 2 2010, 11:49 PM
Post #8

Member No.: 30,195

QUOTE (tiesha @ Feb 10 2010, 11:16 AM) *
Can reccommend McGuigan Wines and Tempus Two.
Tiesha

McGuigan wine is awesome and I do recommend the same. I visited this place and my experience was superb there, Semillon and Shiraz mainly produces to that region and it is very old region to explore.

+Quote Post
tiesha
post Feb 10 2010, 10:16 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 26,000

QUOTE (GoffD @ Dec 18 2009, 04:13 PM) *
Can someone help with a list of the wineries of the Hunter Valley? A Top 50 as well maybe? looking forward to a visit in the new year

Can reccommend McGuigan Wines and Tempus Two.
Tiesha

+Quote Post
winerydoors
post Dec 18 2009, 04:13 PM
Post #10

Member No.: 24,896

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2017 - 01:19 PM