Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Buying wines at distance and being shipped...
"CraigC"
post Aug 14 2000, 01:28 PM
Post #1

Guests

My understanding (and an expert please correct me if I am wrong), is that you are trying to keep wines at stable temperatures to stop cork expansion and contraction and hence subsequent air leakage, and all the associated problems therein.

It would therefore seem that during shipping (unless they spent 4 or 5 days crossing the Nullabor!!) that a change in heat would have very little effect as the cork itself would not have time to contract or expand over this relatively short period of time.

I have over the years collected wine from lots of different places that have either been mailed or couriered to me and am yet to experience an issue with wine quality that i could put down to the actual shipping process

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
"Stew"
post Aug 11 2000, 09:31 PM
Post #2

Guests

It all depends on the integrity of the company. I've used wineplanet and winebid a number of times, and both have been excellent. I've also bought wine from overseas through winebid and that was great too. They concern themselves with temperatures, packing and delivery times. I can't say I'd trust all and sundry, though. Pick your supplier!

+Quote Post
"Bodge"
post Aug 7 2000, 05:31 PM
Post #3

Guests

Rob,

I have purchased wines thru Winepros on 3/4 occasions and the delivery methods have been efficient, reliable and have delivered the wine in strong packaging and most importantly as you mention, the wines have been kept cool.

From my experience this Websites delivery is far better than its other Aust online wine website rivals who tend only ship bulk orders, therefore if your order is last, its been in the delivery truck for a lot longer.

+Quote Post
"Rob"
post Aug 4 2000, 12:38 PM
Post #4

Guests

I'm new to wine collecting and I'm concerned about buying wines online and then having them shipped. One thing I am familiar with is beer and I know that if you bought beer cold, let it warm up, and then re-cooled it, then it would "skunk" or go bad. How is wine with temp changes. I know the previous owners kept the wine at cold temps, but it may reach 100 degrees F in a delivery truck. Thanks.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2019 - 11:54 AM