Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Best BYO Restaurants...??
"John"
post Aug 14 2001, 11:48 AM
Post #1

Guests

As has already been said, there are many BYOs in Melbourne (still). I prefer the $0 corkage ones myself (why be penalized for having a cellar?) which include Duchess in Malvern, Le Celtic in Ashburton, Le Cafe France' in Carlton and RaRaRa in Elwood. Also, The Age 'Epicure' had a good list of Melbourne BYO's some months back.
The glasses provided at restaurants may not be all that great though (not just at BYO's either), no reason why you can't BYO glasses too.

Regards,
John.

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
"Sylvia Bertoz"
post Aug 10 2001, 04:02 PM
Post #2

Guests

John (and anyone else in BYO land!)
Having not explored the BYO restaurants of Sydney, yet, I can only report on a recent visit to one in Melbourne, the experience of which I'd like to share.

There are numerous BYO restaurants in Melbourne. But, on a lovely sunny Sunday afternoon, book yourself into one of the two sittings at Shark Fin, Chinese Restaurant, at Burwood East for Yum Cha. A never ending assortment of delightfully flavoursome morsels, can be enjoyed with a variety of wine styles. Definitely, Yum Cha for the connoisseur! They very happily accept BYO (wine only) and we took along a bottle of Chandon Cuvee Riche, which was a very pleasant accompaniment. Go along often ... try out different wines of your own ... with the different dishes. It's fun! And an absolute must for the taste buds!
Sylvia

+Quote Post
"Dimple"
post Aug 4 2001, 05:07 PM
Post #3

Guests

Easily Claudes is #1 4 me - $10 per head which is a bargain considering they present the bottle, try it 2 ensure it is sound, decant it and the wine waiter personally serves u throughout your meal. Worth every cent. Tetsuyas at $12 per head is almost as good. MG Garage is also top notch but (1) charge $25 per head and (2) advertise only as Licensed - u have 2 request it!

Most 2 & 3 star Licensed restaurants will accept BYO, especiallym on weeknights when business is light, and if u persist with "special bottles celebrating sosmething!". ALWAYS ASK 1ST!!!

+Quote Post
"sanjay nandurkar"
post Aug 4 2001, 12:27 AM
Post #4

Guests

Apart from the usual culprits (tetusya & Claudes) I really liked the atmosphere of Cleopatra (Blue mountains, Sydney). Alas, I have heard that is all changed now....Even Bon Tons at leura is a good spot for al fresco dining(albeit less serious).
But now that I have moved to USA, I haven't come across a any to recommend.
I miss the Sydney Scene...I will have to pen you some notes about some American wines when I get some time and sink my teeth into some seriously good stuff.

+Quote Post
"Carrie"
post Aug 3 2001, 09:24 PM
Post #5

Guests

Jon, I love the Darling Mills too but I did not know it was BYO. How much do they charge to open your own wine? Per head or what?

Also in Sydney - I love Bon Femme in East Sydney and The Peasants Feast in Newtown.

+Quote Post
"ozscape"
post Aug 3 2001, 07:11 PM
Post #6

Guests

It's not BYO, but they openly encourage you to "bring your own bottle - if it's a special one". And the place? A great restaurant in Brunswick Street Fitzroy - Matteo's.
It's where Monsieur Mouchel (ex-Langton's) recently did the Bastille Day gig.

+Quote Post
"John Cuff"
post Aug 3 2001, 01:33 PM
Post #7

Guests

Ok peoples...It is fair to say that we all prefer to take our own wine to restaurants right?!

I would much rather take that special bottle of something I have been hording and convincing myself I will only open it on that special occasion, than pay restaurant prices for wine.

What are your favourite BYO restaurants?

Personally, being in Sydney, Tabou on Crown street and Darling Mills at Glebe are my favs.

When I get the chance to be in Melbourne, so far I can say that 'France soir' in South Yarra, is quite nice.

Are there other hidden gems that people know of and are willing to share them with other wine lovers?

John Cuff
Associate Producer
www.winepros.com.au

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 03:46 PM