Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
cellaring
"Stevo"
post Feb 28 2003, 03:44 PM
Post #1

Guests

Craig - good points and i probably agree - but i have two thermoemeters (one Altroni and one from Paul de Burgh) both around $50 but both measure excatly alike to 0.1 of a degree. Almost no variation ever! Only the Fonsi varies from their temp. Maybe I'm just lucky but whether it be 14.4 or 14 i think both are ideal anyway ...

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
"Craig"
post Feb 28 2003, 10:36 AM
Post #2

Guests

Stevo,

What type of thermometers are you using for comparison?
I have no experience with the Fondis units so can make no comment on the accuracy of their controller. However, I can say that the accuracy of many temperature sensors is questionable. Just because they are digital and read to the nearest 0.1C does not mean they are accurate. I do a lot of work with air conditioning systems and one of the more difficult challenges is to measure temperature accurately. Good digital thermometers are available but they are not cheap. I would certainly place very little faith in a cheapo thermometer - particularly when it is being relied on to ensure correct cellaring conditions for expensive wine. The same applies when measuring humidity although, thankfully, it doesn't nned to be quite as accurate.

+Quote Post
"graham"
post Feb 28 2003, 10:29 AM
Post #3

Guests

It's only been a week so far, but good if a little noisy. Even when compressor if off, fan tad on the loud side ( is the fan supposed to be silent?). I agree about the temp, I brought a hygrotherm (temp/humidity) and it regularly records lower temp. The room installed in is a 12 cubic meter insulated cold room - this suitable?. I'll try the bucket of water.

+Quote Post
"Stevo"
post Feb 28 2003, 10:03 AM
Post #4

Guests

I too use a Fondis and find it fabbo - the perfect hunidity level is 65-75% - i found when I insulated my room the humidity rose to this level and now sits there (it was around 55-60 prior). in short, I dont think you have anything to worry about 0 to bring up the humidity a couple of % points, put in a full bucket of water.

Another word of warning - dont rely soley on the temp setting on the Fondis unit - I have two thermos in there and found it often runs well under the tem set. In my cellar, if i set it to 14 it would typically run at 13.4-13.5 degrees.

PS - how do u find the machine?

+Quote Post
"graham"
post Feb 28 2003, 06:53 AM
Post #5

Guests

I have just built a cellar using a Fondis wine cooling unit. I've set the temp to 14. It appears the unit is preset to keep the humidity at 62-67%.
Is this too low?
Will it effect long term storage?
Advice???

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 02:40 PM