Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Fine Oz Dining
inpussy09
post Dec 14 2009, 01:55 AM
Post #1

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 23,734

If you do try thirdfloor, let me know if you like it.I heard the chef used to work at cilantro. I enjoyed my dinner there and also they have extensive wine selection Enjoy your anniversary
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
"Tim"
post Sep 20 2002, 04:17 PM
Post #2

Guests

When in Melbourne, try Lynch's in Domain Road, South Yarra. Fantastic ambience, grea food and wine list. Also allows BYO (~$20 corkage).

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au

+Quote Post
"VP"
post Sep 19 2002, 10:48 PM
Post #3

Guests

In Melbourne go to Ondine or Grossi Florentinos, for a cheaper "snack" try Gust - Fish and soup of the day is always good and it has an interesting, inexpensive, wine list. In Sydney you cannot go past Rockpool. It is right back on top form.

+Quote Post
"Adair"
post Sep 17 2002, 09:00 AM
Post #4

Guests

Would not go back to Level 41 again. Waste of money. Bad service. Expensive markups on wine. Not greatly exciting food, especially not for its price. Yes, great views, especially from the gents. If Grange is what you want to drink, buy a bottle and go to Tetsuya's or Claude's and let them decentanter and serve it in style. Sydney is too full of great restaurants to waste time and money on Level 41.

Just my opinion,
Adair.

+Quote Post
"Scott"
post Sep 16 2002, 08:57 PM
Post #5

Guests

Cheers guys.

Glen,
re: Hilton Grange - imo I think its the best restauant in Australia. I suspect its not really possible to have an absolute best, too many things change markedly over time. Cheong Liew's food last time I was there was some of the finest I have ever tried. What was outstanding was the technical excellence and detailed construction of every dish. I was talking with the Maitre'd who had just come back from working in one the best restaurants in London, and what he told me was that many people overlook the technical understanding of his cooking.

Overall I don't know if there is that much difference between any of the top, top restaurants in Oz. But the grange is a fair contender for the best.

Its been years since I have been to Tetsuya's, so I would like to go again I think.

Does anyone have any current thoughts on Rockpool.

Lantana: I think you have swayed me into Quay!

+Quote Post
"lantana"
post Sep 16 2002, 05:29 PM
Post #6

Guests

Hi Scott,
Quay (ex Bilsons) is back on track, awarded best restaurant last fortnight(SMH Good Food Guide Awards), I don't agree, I think Tetsuya's is the best, but he can't win it every year. Quay has fabulous views, excellent food, & the best Sommelier in Sydney, John Clancy with a great winelist. Also for something not so grand, try Marque in Surry Hills. His food is sort of like a one star Michelin restaurant, he trained with Alain Ducasse etc., great beetroot tart, signature dish.
If you have time Restaurant VII is well worth checking out, as is Banc, which is very underrated in my opinion. Great winelists, both of them. Enjoy.
lantana
P.S. If you want Tetsuya's you should book 4-6 weeks ahead.

+Quote Post
"glen"
post Sep 16 2002, 04:25 PM
Post #7

Guests

Scott,
What's your thoughts on the Hilton's Grange?
Last time I was there it was fully booked.
:g

+Quote Post
"Perry"
post Sep 16 2002, 10:29 AM
Post #8

Guests

Tetsuyas and Claudes (both BYO) and arguably the 2 best restaurants in NSW, if not Australia.

+Quote Post
"Mat"
post Sep 16 2002, 08:57 AM
Post #9

Guests

Scott

If you are in Melbourne then I can highly recommend Circa in St Kilda - nice ambience, extensive and interesting wine list, fabulous food. Its in St Kilda in the Prince of Wales hotel complex in Fitzroy St - the bottle shop below is also worth checking out.

Donovans down by the beach in St Kilda is also a great place to spend a sunny day in Melbourne - try the aged Angus steak - its incredible.

+Quote Post
"Scott"
post Sep 15 2002, 07:53 PM
Post #10

Guests

Glen,
i'm from adelaide.

I've never been to forty one, but maybe I will give it a try. Grange by the glass, great loo's - sounds like the magill estate at penfolds!

+Quote Post
"glen"
post Sep 15 2002, 05:14 PM
Post #11

Guests

G'day,
Where are you from Scott?
For experince Level 41 in Sydney is hard to beat.Fantastic wine list-Grange by the glass,panoramic view and don't forget to go to the loo.
:G

+Quote Post
"Scott"
post Sep 13 2002, 08:22 PM
Post #12

Guests

I will be in Oz seeing the family throughout October.

I will be in Sydney & Melbourne for a few days only, and wondered if anyone had any tips on good restaurants?

What I am looking for is exceptional food, with good wine lists, and sensible mark ups or BYO. The same stuff I am sure you look for.

I have eaten in most of the top places in recent years, but things do change quickly.

I have the Flower drum & Rockpool booked, other than that any thoughts...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd November 2014 - 12:37 PM