Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Penfolds tasting notes 1
"Carrie"
post Jun 8 2003, 09:45 PM
Post #1

Guests

Hi

I agree with you re the 389. I found the tannins were like a huge black door you can't open right in the middle of the palate. INPENERATABLE.

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
"Mark D"
post Jun 3 2003, 03:27 PM
Post #2

Guests

Simm,
I agree with your chard notes.
I tried (and re-tried very carefully) the 99 and 2000 Yattarnas at the Sydney International Wine Show earlier this year.
I was somewhat underwhelmed. Okay, I like white burgundy so it does not have to be heavy. Yet there was no complexity, no intensity. The 99 was better in that it oddewred some lingering citrussy fruit and a nutty complexity, but the 2000 was just plain bland.
Both were shown up by several much cheaper Aust and NZ chards like Villa Maria, Tyrells Vat 47, Eileen Hardy et al.
Have tried the 2000 Bin 389 and am not sure what to make of it. It is very tannic and whilst there is good fruit, I'll wait and see what comes from it.

+Quote Post
"simm"
post Jun 3 2003, 11:32 AM
Post #3

Guests

Finally my Penfolds tasting notes from early May 2003, hope they are some use:

Bin 00A Chardonnay 2000

Colour: taking on the riper lime skin colours of watercolour yellows, through to straw with delicate hues of green.
Nose: ripening peach with an underlay of rockmelon, the oak not hitting you from behind (a character which turns me off most Chardonnay).
Palate: Following the nose, and a delightful under ripe peach nuttiness. But mostly it was the creamy texture that made me really take notice, following through on the long, long palate, which finished crisply with a tart dried apricot lick.

Yattarna Chardonnay 2000

Colour: Very light in colour, an almost watered down look.
Nose: Not as forward as the 00A. Airy peachiness before having bitten through the skin, a definite dominance of the oak. Are these it?s youthful characteristics?
Palate: Powerful citrus flesh flavours, (Jonathon apple?). Flinty aroma?s coming through on exhaling over the back palate. Lighter body texture than the 00A. Long acidic length.

Now having looked at the Penfolds tasting notes these two wines I?m beginning to wonder whether I had my glasses placed in the wrong positions before I sat down. Did partake in the Eden Valley Reserve Riesling 2001 and the Thomas Hyland Chardonnay but I don?t seem to made any inroads to any real note-taking. I do remember being as impressed with Hyland Chardonnay as I have been with the rest of this range, which is not very impressed at all.

Bin 407 Cabernet 2000

Colour: Dark cherry, with purple edges. Quite opaque yet bright and reflective.
Nose: Rotund red cherry/cassis nose with tobacco leaf. Fireside stuff. Can?t define the oak, seems to be between cedar and vanilla somehow.
Palate: Initially quite hard with dark berries and a slightly herbaceous background, but over time the ripeness of the fruit opens up, getting sweeter. Tannins can be a bit of scare to the gums at first.

Bin 389 Cabernet Shiraz 2000

Colour: Deep maroon, yet bright.
Nose: Dark, ripe berries, liquorice, slight blue ink with a balanced oak aroma that reminded me of Russian Caravan tea.
Palate: Heavyweight black and blue berries, with a red cherry thrown in to the tank. A spiciness is there but dominated by a early 19th century Nanny kind of hardness (not quite a bitterness), which I assume comes from the 707 Cabernet bunches. Ripe yet gum curling tannins. If this thing is going to soften it will be a great-nanny before it does so, as far as I can tell. I have spoken to many who disagree with me already, but this is the second time I have tried this 389 and hold fast to my opinion of it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 12:51 PM