3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Oops! Parker on Aussie wine writers ...
akabacchus
post Aug 27 2008, 11:27 AM
Post #1

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 17,771

My My... I have only read the last page of this post... Feel a tad voyeuristic.
I hope we can all kiss and make up.
Will be watching for the next episode.

Cheers
David (Happy to sign my name smile.gif )
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aden
post Aug 26 2008, 09:35 PM
Post #2

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 17,769

Wine Books & Authors
Mastering a World of Wine Knowledge

After ten years in the restaurant industry, six years in the wine industry, countless hours spent studying ??? including college level courses on the subject ??? I can honestly say that I still don???t ???know??? wine at all. It???s one of those subjects that one needs to stay on top of, like politics or the dishes piling up in the sink. The question is how do you make it from one end to the other? How do you master (or at least come to terms with) a growing world of wine knowledge?

+Quote Post
"simm"
post Aug 3 2003, 08:36 AM
Post #3

Guests

Just being sarky, Lantana. The rag thing as more about getting everyone to let go, not that Scott shouldn't, or wouldn't respond.

I have no bone to pick with Scott, and I really don't want to continue with the battle, after all, it's not mine.

Peter, what do you mean by "And remember this is a forum. Don't take this personally... P.S.Lantana this is not directed at you."????

I do apologise to Scott for even entering into it, but I do recall him being the first to jump in and have a go at me in the past, being himself a member of another "pack".

regards,
simm

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au

+Quote Post
"Peter"
post Jul 28 2003, 08:30 AM
Post #4

Guests

Hello peter I am the only other person called peter in australia. nice to meet you.

+Quote Post
"Ringo"
post Jul 27 2003, 09:15 PM
Post #5

Guests

Thanks to this site I know where to buy wine.

But where I can purchase a pair of those rose coloured glasses?

+Quote Post
"Just passing by"
post Jul 26 2003, 07:49 PM
Post #6

Guests

Why do worthwhile threads always end up being cat fights with posters led by a certain loud minority (we all know who they are)? It's frustrating and no doubt the reason why new people don't wish to post. If people don't wish to use their real identity (like myself) - who cares? Move on, post your tasting notes and wine gossip.

+Quote Post
"Peter"
post Jul 26 2003, 01:28 PM
Post #7

Guests

Oh, another alias, what do you know..!!

Could guess that would happen.

At least Ric has enough balls to sign his name.

+Quote Post
"Lone Wolf"
post Jul 26 2003, 12:59 PM
Post #8

Guests

Looks like Scott has a split personality problem and has turned into his equally nasty alter ego Peter.Get back in your box and let Scott speak for himself as he is a big boy too.
Please note this is not a personal attack because being a forum means anyone can say anything they like with no consequence at all!

+Quote Post
"TORB"
post Jul 26 2003, 08:55 AM
Post #9

Guests

Peter,

"So, why don?t you people let Ric speak for himself, he is a big boy now."

I did.

"3. Personnal attack or not Ric picked the fight, let him finish it."

There is a big difference bewteen "picking a fight" and having a polite disagreement or debate with someone. In terms of "finising it", I posted a response and Scott has elected to not answer it so from my perspective it is finished.

" And if you answer back, the same pack comes a huntin, aliases and all."

Generally speak that only happens when the attack is personal and not about the subject at hand.

Cheers
Ric

+Quote Post
"Peter"
post Jul 26 2003, 06:44 AM
Post #10

Guests

Eric,

1. I did not say Scott posted a proactive comment.

2. Alot of Scotts arguement is based on facts. You had better do your homework.

3. Personnal attack or not Ric picked the fight, let him finish it.

4. Scott is far to thick skinned to regret his comments.

+Quote Post
"eric"
post Jul 26 2003, 12:06 AM
Post #11

Guests

Not directed at anyone...
i have two words.."GROW UP..."

I am a novice in terms of wine and do not understand half the wine tasting note that you gentlemen offer on this forum.

peter,
i do not agree with you in saying that scott posted a "proactive" comment and consequently recieves criticism. Far from it, rather than basing his comments on factuals he has chosen to personally attack Ric.

I doubt if anyone on this forum has any problem with Scott posting some constructive criticism based on facts and not directed at anyone.

all in all, i think Scott very much regrets his comments direted at Ric.?

my 2 cents.

eric

+Quote Post
"Peter "
post Jul 25 2003, 04:08 PM
Post #12

Guests

Well, wolfs really do hunt in packs, dont they..!!

Why do people insist on snipping others for having an opinion?

Scotts so called ?attack? is no worst than the responses posted above, including this one. I am sure you will find some history between Scott and Ric over their opinions in the past. So, why don?t you people let Ric speak for himself, he is a big boy now.

One of the reasons that I have not been posting recently is due to the fact the same few people think that they have some sort of ownership on the forums mentioned in this thread. These same people believe that they posses an esoteric understanding of wine. God help you if you don?t have the same opinion as theirs. And if you answer back, the same pack comes a huntin, aliases and all. Submit a proactive post and you get sarcastic, un-constructive criticism. And snobbery, I don?t think that these people should be pointing the finger. Underlying attitude prevails. Some people always think that they are right.

Try and let the forumities know that there is an event on or something and SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, but we let Ric, Tyson and others do it. Then just to help them out we advertise their stuff on their behalf.

Bloody hypocrites, have a good long hard look in the mirror.

And remember this is a forum. Don?t take this personally.

PS. Lantana this is not directed at you.

+Quote Post
"lantana"
post Jul 24 2003, 02:20 PM
Post #13

Guests

simm,
Scott has been asked some very direct questions, which I for one would love to hear a response. As far as your analogical posting goes, I'm sure the ego of the bloke on the other end of the rag, would not allow himself to stop following the thread, so I just don't think he has any answers, or his cover may have been blown by Gary W & he's panicked.

In regard to "Tall grasses whispering along the periphery," were you, by chance, at one time a devotee of the Kung Fu TV series in the 1970's? I'm sure I detect some influence in your prose from "Grasshopper"!
lantana

+Quote Post
"simm"
post Jul 24 2003, 01:54 PM
Post #14

Guests

ok, ok,

Let's let go of the rag now, there's no-one on the other end.

Tall grasses whispering along the periphery.

simm

+Quote Post
"Gary W"
post Jul 24 2003, 08:47 AM
Post #15

Guests

I find the silence much more pleasant!
Ahhhh listen to that solitude.
GW

+Quote Post
"lantana"
post Jul 24 2003, 08:29 AM
Post #16

Guests

Scott,
Your silence is deafening!!
lantana

+Quote Post
"Adair"
post Jul 23 2003, 02:29 PM
Post #17

Guests

Hello Scott,

I am not going to comment on the emotive nature underlying your last posting, except that the post and its replies make great reading.

Seriously, I have one questions that is based around the prmiary purpose of these Forums, wine education and understanding. I have read many of Ric's tasting notes and feel that they convey to the reader a better than average description of a particular wine. He addresses both flavour and structure, yet you state that he "cannot write a tasting note". Could you please give me some pointers on how to better write a tasting note? I ask this with sincerity. I believe the purpose of a tasting note is to give the reader as close as possible understanding of a wine without tasting it. Do you think I am correct?

Also, two things in opposition (without emotion) to your comments about Ric:

1) Although I do not know what formal qualifications Ric holds, he has studied many of the wine education books that are used in formal wine courses. I recall an article of his, maybe a few years ago now, advocating wine education, stating that the few hundreds or thousands of dollars are undeniably well worth the enhancement to the enjoyment of wine facilitated from the understanding.

2) Having tasted wine with Ric on two extended occassions, I can attest that his knowledge and understanding of Australian wine is Outstanding. I have not tasted with a person who can better identify Australian region, vintage and winery style characteristics better. I do not believe his wine abilities outside Australia's bordors are anything of note from a relative wine professional viewpoint, but he has never professed or implied such.

Therefore, please give us all examples of where you believe Ric's "lack of tasting note writing ability, formal training and/or wine understanding" is displayed (other than generally not enjoying whites as much as reds and focussing on Australian wine - which are in themselves personal preferences rather than deficiencies).

Yours sincerely,
Adair

+Quote Post
"Joe c"
post Jul 22 2003, 11:37 PM
Post #18

Guests

In his first publication, he rated the 91 Cape Mentelle 19+ and his 2nd or 3rd downgraded it to 17+. He must have adjusted it again. I am not singling out JO but just use this as an illustration. I shall do some research and give the exact scores. The same goes for RP, if even one or two of his 99/100 pointers tasted flat in say 5-10 years, surely one would have some doubt on his tasting ability. If the wine is a 90 pointer and goes flat, I would be more forgiving. Imagine a Hill of Grace/Grange/Petrus/Le Pin/or any of the Ist growths from a top year and highly rated at 99/100 pts going flat after 5-10 years, I doubt it. To give a wine 99/100 pts. means it is something very special. It has a lot of influence on the buyers/drinkers and I am not happy to see other people becoming suckers. That is my point. Joe c.

+Quote Post
"simm"
post Jul 22 2003, 09:02 PM
Post #19

Guests

Scott,

Do you always read into threads with such a paranoia combined with uncontrollable snobbery?

Sorry Joe,
True about the circular nature of it all, especially in light of the fact that a lot of the same people are recycling the argument within different forums instead of, as you say, talking about wine. What I thought curious about the Parker site was that upon registering, this is exactly what they warn you against under threat of your post not being put up on the board.

I'm prepared to listen to all sides of the coin from any critic I can find, and yes, accassionally they agree, but rarely unless it is regarding a big gun with a long, documented history, irrefutable without the vintages lain out before one.

I don't often agree with JO's reviews, (and the Vintage Cellars logo at the bottom of his guides are a turn off) but they can be found cheap for back vintages. I have yet to find a guide that could satisfy my need to know about old or current vintages, as well as new makers. It's an impossible task, which is why I thank people like Ric and others on any site forum for their opinions. I post my notes, and if I thought I was going to be berated for it I, like others just wouldn't bother, nor respond to other TN's. (Hey!, then Scott could have the entire forum to himself!)

No, I am not ashamed to admit I haven't tasted every wine, and that I am not a professional with even a drop of experience. (Sorry, once again being affected by unnecessary vitriolic guff.)

respectfully,
simm

+Quote Post
"daz"
post Jul 22 2003, 08:27 PM
Post #20

Guests

Well! Scott!

There's certainly a s***load of invective in your post; can't help wondering, what provoked it? Is it that Ric does enjoy some respect from not just this forum but a number of others including Auswine's and Winestar's?

Have agreed with some of your past postings but not being a Francophile, I've not had any interest in anything about Grand Cru, 1st Growths or any of that frogs***. Appellations? Means no more than names to me!

Go for it - you can condemn me as a colonial ignoramous if you wish but don't forget your own origins!

I think Gary Walsh has asked you, very reasonably, on what do you base your opinions? The same prolificacy of which you negatively accuse Ric? You've alluded in past posts to working in a wine shop in the UK, London even - WOW!! The centre of the world - tell that to a pretend uppercrust New Yorker who wouldn't buy a wine that didn't have RP's tick of approval.

So, on a serious note, a few pertinent questions:

(1) Are you a qualified MW (Master of Wine, in case you don't recognise the acronym)? Place, name of institution issuing such qualification and date of qualification would be appreciated for verification of bona fides.

(2) Are you a qualified sommelier? The same validation of qualifications as in (1) would be appreciated.

(3) Do you have your own internet site on which you record your own wine experiences and opinions, as well of those of others?

(5) How many workshops conducted by Jancis Robinson have you attended?

(6) How do you source wines for tasting and assessment?

Interested in your reply.

Cheers

Daz

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 05:52 AM