Burgundy and Alsace
"Kojak"
post Sep 5 2003, 07:45 PM
Post #1

Guests

Wines tasted blind,in 3 brackets of 2.

Bracket 1

Macon Blanc Villages 2001 (Jadot)$30

Decent but undistinguished wine, not destined to turn into anything great either. Nice mineral and stone fruit characters but only medium length and intensity.Pleasant but I prefer others.

Puligny Montrachet "La Garenne" Premier Cru 2000 (Sauzet) $220

The quality difference was immediately apparent in this comparison. From a great white year,this was an impressive wine,but would I trade it for 4 Leeuwin AS/Pierro/Cullen etc ?? Probably not,but it probably had more persistence and length than either of the afforementioned. Sauzet wines are particularly highly prized amongst White burgs;despite its youth,it is drinking quite nicely now and I don't imagine it to be a long ager. Lovely round barrel ferment characters in the mouth,melon and citrus the dominant fruit. Nice wine,shame about the price.

Bracket 2

Mercurey Premier Cru 1999 (Faiveley)$35

Clean wine,lifted but simple fruit,medium intensity on both nose and palate. High acidity,Raspberry and Cherry fruit being to the fore. Again,a correct and decent wine that is ultimately uninspiring.

Gevrey Chambertin "Poissenot" Premier Cru 1999 (Confuron/Contetidot) $160

Impressive wine. Well made,complex nose and palate of mushroomy,feral characters,very good intensity of flavour, very good length and persistence. Classy ,fine,powdery tannins. Elegant and enjoyable.

Bracket 3

Hugel Gewurztraminer 1999 $60

Quite a complex wine,a lot going on here. Lychees and flowers,pronounced intensity,very perfumed.Clean wine of high alcohol and highly recommended.

Zind Humbrecht Gewurztraminer Herrenweg de Turckheim 2000 $100

I thought this was much older than this. Pronounced yellow gold colour,great intensity of fruit and depth of flavour,very long and high in alcohol,quite viscous as a result. Iconic wine of high quality but you pay for it.

Cheers

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd October 2014 - 02:22 PM