Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
Race Horse wine/port series
"alex dieni"
post Apr 29 2006, 07:47 PM
Post #1

Guests

we are interested in buying Yalumba "without fear" vintage port, 1976. What is the asking price,

Regards,

Alex.

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
"Tom"
post Mar 31 2006, 09:09 AM
Post #2

Guests

Keith,
I have the series of Horse of the year port from 1976 thru 1985 and am interested in selling. Any interest?

+Quote Post
"Keith"
post Feb 23 2004, 12:37 AM
Post #3

Guests

I collect those ports and they normally sell at auctions for about on average $12 - $14,on ebay they sometimes reach $40-$50 a bottle,if you wish to sell any please let me know,or am just glad to be of some assistance if possible,Keith

+Quote Post
"Mark S"
post Jan 15 2004, 12:22 AM
Post #4

Guests

Hi Rod - both Yalumba & St Hallett put out a large number of vintage ports named after racehorses in the 1970's & early 1980's. It was all part of the "port investment bubble" of that period, which like all bubbles, burst just when thousands of ordinary people were finally persuaded to put their hard-earned into it. There was no real connection with the racing world, the flood of ports produced around that time were named after anything that moved, or stood still, that was real or imaginary - if one of the Queen's corgis farted, they would create a commemorative port to mark the occasion.
These racehorse bottles appear with nauseating frequency in auctions - few are still drinkable (unless cellared under ideal conditions) and usually go for $8 - $16.

+Quote Post
"AK"
post Jan 13 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #5

Guests

Last year, I have brought the 1977 one (Love Bandit) for around ~$20 through Langtons.

Cheers,
Alan

+Quote Post
"daz"
post Jan 13 2004, 09:32 PM
Post #6

Guests

Gday Rod

I seem to remember seeing some vintage ports around in the early 80s with racehorse labels, may even have bought one or two. These wines are usually promotional in nature. Have no idea what their value may be but to be worth anything, if they date from the late 70s/early 80s, the would need to have been perfectly stored.

Winepros had an arrangement through which valuations could be obtained using a link with Langton's wine auction house but that's been defunct for some time now. You could contact Langtons through their website:
http://www.langtons.com.au/.

Cheers

daz

+Quote Post
"Rod"
post Jan 13 2004, 08:55 PM
Post #7

Guests

Does anyone have any information about the race horse wine/port series and what they may be worth. Please reply if you can help.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd August 2014 - 05:28 PM