2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
Wine storage
charls
post Sep 1 2008, 07:35 PM
Post #1

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 18,168

If you have the space and you want to build a cellar, go for it. If not, then the cooler idea works just grand, and isnt anywhere near as expensive. Most cabinetry stores and appliance stores have a selection of these coolers, and even home depot and lowes are getting into carrying them now. brands types etc really depend on what you like, but check out consumer reports for quality and their picks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
"AndrewW"
post Dec 10 2007, 08:52 AM
Post #2

Guests

Haven't pursued it any further... life has been too hectic lately to manage anything but the bare essentials! My wine cabinet is well down on the list of priorities :-(

It's been coping OK this summer as we haven't had anything like the many consecutive days of mid to high 30s. The occasional really hot days have been followed by milder temperatures so it has not been a problem so far, and it's sitting around 14-15 degrees.

If I ever get a free weekend (ha ha) I'm considering doing a mod to it myself to install additional peltiers and heatsinks in the air inlets - the theory being that this will pre-cool the air that is cooling the original heatsinks. I just have to figure out where to hook in to get some thermostat-switched current to drive a relay.

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au

+Quote Post
"mattb"
post Dec 9 2007, 09:08 PM
Post #3

Guests

I am starting to look at buying a wine cabinet. I am also in Brisbane. Have you had a satisfactory end to the temp fluctuation?

+Quote Post
"Dan"
post Jul 18 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #4

Guests

I have had a Kitchener KG252 for several years now and has been very efficient and trouble free. I'm looking to downsize as I no longer have the space/need for this size. Send me an email at danads@mac.com for more info.

+Quote Post
"AndrewW"
post May 1 2006, 04:17 PM
Post #5

Guests

Haven't approached Kitchener yet... I've been waiting for the weather to cool since if they offer me any kind of solution it will likely involve a power outage to the cabinet, so I want the ambient temperatures to be nice and low! June should just about do it I reckon.

+Quote Post
"Glenn"
post Mar 28 2006, 08:32 PM
Post #6

Guests

Dereck, Andrew,

Interested in any feedback on the temperature fluctuation issue.

Also wondering if you have any idea of the performance of the Liebherr units?

+Quote Post
"Derek"
post Mar 21 2006, 09:54 AM
Post #7

Guests

Hi Andrew

Have you sorted out your summer liquid temp problem or is it something you have to live with?

Regards
Derek

+Quote Post
"AndrewW"
post Jan 9 2006, 07:49 AM
Post #8

Guests

The cabinet is stored under the house on a concrete slab - we have a "Queenslander" style house up on stumps, so it is as cool there as you are going to get in ambient conditions. The high ambients are just a damn hot summer.

+Quote Post
"Peter"
post Jan 8 2006, 03:26 PM
Post #9

Guests

I'm currently looking at wine cabinets and the 252 Kitchener is definitely on my list. I am concerned about the temperature fluctuations you are talking about though. Is the actual cabinet stored in a 37 degree temperature (for example in a shed) or is that just the weather temperature outside and the cabinet is sitting in a cooler environment? I am achieving temperatures as stable as this in a heavily insulated area in my house with no extra cooling.

Also, has anyone else got any experience with other brands?

+Quote Post
"AndrewW"
post Dec 13 2005, 02:21 PM
Post #10

Guests

I'm in Brisbane and have had a 252 bottle unit for around 4 years. I've found that it's not too bad on the whole, but in the height of a Brisbane summer it just doesn't cope properly.

We had temperatures in the mid to high 30s last week and my fluid temperature was up to 19.5 - not really optimal (although certainly better than the ambient 37 degrees!). Kitchener have previously advised that the cabinet must be fully stocked to provide thermal inertia - my cabinet is chock-a-block (sadly many of the bottles are only water!) barring a handful of empty spaces. This behaviour has been consistent since I have had the cabinet; it sits nicely at around 14 degrees except in summer, when it fluctuates between 14 and 20.

In discussions with Kitchener they seemed puzzled by my reports... this year I upgraded my thermometers thinking that perhaps they were off, but the new gear confirms the same findings. I have not yet approached them again for a response, but previous conversations gave me the impression that they would be interested in trying to help even though I am out of warranty.

So... based on my experience, they are good value but do not really provide rock-solid thermal stability in hot conditions.

+Quote Post
"Richard"
post Oct 14 2005, 02:17 PM
Post #11

Guests

They are great value

And the company has a great service approach.

They aren't a "furniture piece" like the overpriced glass door European ones, but are very functional

+Quote Post
"Claret"
post May 23 2005, 07:12 PM
Post #12

Guests

I have owned a Kitchener 410 for a couple of years and I am delighted with its performance. Reds are just right after 10 minutes out of the unit and whites can be drunk straight from the unit or after perhaps 10 minutes in the fridge. The 410 is massive but it does a great job.

+Quote Post
"cranky"
post Mar 9 2004, 08:13 PM
Post #13

Guests

Noisy is bad.
It also appears that you get around twice the capacity in a Kitchener for the equivalent cost in a Vintec (which is itself half the price of a Transtherm).
One of the VC's over here has just started offering the latter two brands. The purchase price does count towards Cellar Shares, though. Probably still not incentive enough! ;-)

+Quote Post
"radioactiveman"
post Mar 7 2004, 10:18 PM
Post #14

Guests

GB,

KG252 $2800 plus $250 delivery. They will send you instructions for installation and set up. There are also details of set up on their website. Been looking at one of these for a little while now. I'm even considering the KG410 but that would cost $4350 plus $350 delivery.

If you assume a cabinet life of ten years, the KG252 will cost $1.21 per bottle, per year. Running costs would be additional to this but these are quite economical, I'm told.

Cheers

Jamie

+Quote Post
"martinborough"
post Mar 7 2004, 09:37 AM
Post #15

Guests

vintec,although the most accessable unit on the market(david jones etc.)it is by far the noisiest.i had a client who sent their unit back and bought a transtherm(money not an object).

+Quote Post
"cranky"
post Mar 6 2004, 05:17 PM
Post #16

Guests

How do they compare with Vintec?

+Quote Post
"David"
post Mar 5 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #17

Guests

Dear Mike,

Thanks for your info. Much appreciated

Regards,
David

+Quote Post
"GB"
post Mar 5 2004, 07:18 PM
Post #18

Guests

Thanks JeffB, Martinborough & Mike1,
Your input is very valuable. The 20 case one looks like the way to go. Temp & moisture stable with a minimum of noise seems ideal.
Do they deliver,install,stabilise & guarantee?

+Quote Post
"JeffB"
post Mar 5 2004, 11:39 AM
Post #19

Guests

Hello GB,
Have had a 250 bottle capacity kitchener for about 2 1/2 years - only moving part (when on) is the fan, unlike several European models that do vibrate. Granted not as attractive as European counterparts and doesn't have the gadgets - but half the price makes it a good buy.I purchased a max/min temperature/humidity gauge for inside the unit. However these readings were of air space inside the unit - bought a tel-tru temperature gauge with a metal probe and siliconed (if there is such a word)it into a wine bottle (full of water) for liquid temperature. Amazing how stable liquid temperature is compared to air temperature.
I highly recommended the Kitchener.

Regards

JeffB

+Quote Post
"mike1"
post Mar 5 2004, 10:42 AM
Post #20

Guests

Hi David

Kitchener Wine Cabinets
www.kitchenerwinecabinets.com
p: 03 9429 5406
f: 03 9429 2750
a.kitchener@bigpond.com
PO BOx 233,Richmond,Vic 3121

cheers
Mike1

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd October 2014 - 01:19 AM