Reply to this topicStart new topic
Building a Wine Cellar
akabacchus
post Aug 27 2008, 11:02 AM
Post #1

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 17,771

QUOTE (Robyn @ Jul 20 2008, 09:45 AM) *
Has anyone read Tyson Stelzer's book 'Cellar'? Was it useful in designing/building one? Any other recommendations?

Plenty of usefull info on the web...
I would be happy to offer any advice.

Cheers
David
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dannel
post Aug 20 2008, 09:36 PM
Post #2

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 17,724

Store it lying down on its side in a cool place without much temperature variation throughout the day. Since hot air rises, generally it would be better to store it closer to the floor than to the ceiling.

please visit here and enjoy.......

Wine Club

+Quote Post
Robyn
post Jul 20 2008, 09:45 AM
Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: RootAdmin
Member No.: 222

Has anyone read Tyson Stelzer's book 'Cellar'? Was it useful in designing/building one? Any other recommendations?

+Quote Post
"Glenn"
post Feb 18 2008, 04:47 PM
Post #4

Guests

Hi Linz,

A quick question about your Fondis C18S unit. I would be planning to mount it on an external wall of the house. The wall is brick veneer, so there is basically Outside -> Single Brick --> Wall Cavity --> R 2.5 Insulation in wall Frame --> Giprock. I am planning on putting some additional styrofoam insulation (probably 30mm)against the giprock. My question is - Do you think I have to cut through all of this, including the bricks to install this unit, or is it possible to cut through everything except the brickwork and let the unit ventilate into the wall cavity itself which goes up for two stories? (since this is the bottom level of a two story house). This would be the preferred option as it would mean that unit isn't exposed to outdoor conditions etc...

Thanks,
Glenn

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au

+Quote Post
"Linz"
post Oct 25 2005, 09:23 PM
Post #5

Guests

Hi Marc,
I built a cellar a few months ago. I would recommend you insulate the walls, ceiling and floor as well as add an insulated door. I built mine like a commercial coolroom and installed a Fondis C18S unit to cool it. The fondis unit is very quite (noise was a big consideration for me) and as I used 100mm insulation the compressor hardly runs at all. The internal fan runs 24/7 but is very quite as well. So far it's been sitting at a constant 70% humidity and 15 degrees c. I can recommend the fondis, a bit expensive at just over $3000 however worth every cent and comparative to other units on the market. I looked at breezeair,chillR and whispercool from the USA however read that some of them were noisy. Fondis is available from Laurie Bilsborough at Cellarwine (02) 9948 6347.

Regards Linz

+Quote Post
"Marc "
post Oct 25 2005, 10:29 AM
Post #6

Guests

Hello

I have quite a big room under a 2 storey house and I would like to build a wine cellar, it is about as big as a small bedroom, it will be constructed with besser blocks, concrete slab and have a cold store door, will I still need to use insolation on the inner wall's and can anyone recommend a good cooling system, and any other ideas or experiences on how to go about it.

Thanks

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 04:49 AM