Welcome Guest ( Log In | Join )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
NZ Wine Regions, Suggestions on places to visit?
sendwinenow
post Aug 16 2011, 01:31 PM
Post #1

Group: Subscriber
Member No.: 39,150

I'm currently living in Hawke's Bay in NZ and would hugely recommend it as a wine destination. It's probably not as well known as some of the other NZ wine regions largely because it doesn't just have the one varietal to hang its hat on like some of the others (ie Marlborough - Sauvignon Blanc, Gisborne - Chardonnay). Because Hawke's Bay is able to produce many varietals well it almost suffers from its own success.
Its Bordeaux blends are gorgeous, but then so is much of the merlot, syrah, gewurtz, sav blanc (very different to the Marlborough stuff) and chardonnay, just to name a few.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gloryforixseal
post Jun 16 2009, 04:38 AM
Post #2

Member No.: 21,722

Does anyone have any recommendations for a good wine to drink with a milk chocolate tart?

Im thinking perhaps a Pinot Noir, but someone else suggested a Zinfindel

What do you think?

Thanks

+Quote Post
Lou
post Aug 30 2008, 03:36 PM
Post #3

Group: Member
Member No.: 61

In the south island Central Otago is the place to be. If you have $$ base yourself in Arrowtown or Queenstown and tour from there. Cheaper options, but still close, is Cromwell or even Wanaka.

Must visit
* Chard Farm - near the bungee bridge and tucked into the side of the steep hillside. Amazing SB and pinot
* Two Paddocks - keep an eye out for actor Sam Neil. His wines not bad either
* Olssens - the dog here has the best name, expect to stay awhile, the cellar door staff are very very chatty

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hobson
post Aug 29 2008, 06:51 PM
Post #4

Member No.: 1,968

QUOTE (phil.webberley @ Aug 29 2008, 02:34 PM) *
A few years ago I dropped in on a number of 'iconic' wineries whilst whizzing around the southern island. It was a fantastic experience, and one I hope to repeat sometime soon.

Any suggestions on the "must visit" wineries in either the Southern or Northern Island? Anyone got any good experiences to share?

Some fantastic wineries in New Zealand are located in Hawkes Bay, North Island. Esk Valley is a top winery which is highly recommended and have won some prestigious awards. Others of interest include Craggy Range, Clearview Estate and Te Mata - their Coleraine is world class!

+Quote Post
phil.webberley
post Aug 29 2008, 01:34 PM
Post #5

Member No.: 550

A few years ago I dropped in on a number of 'iconic' wineries whilst whizzing around the southern island. It was a fantastic experience, and one I hope to repeat sometime soon.

Any suggestions on the "must visit" wineries in either the Southern or Northern Island? Anyone got any good experiences to share?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 10:51 PM