Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: do you put red wine in the fridge?
VisitVineyards.com > Visit Vineyards Forums > Winepros archive forums > Winepros Archive Forums
Gregg a beginner
do you put red wine after you open it into the fridge?

thanks gregg

This post has been imported from Winepros archive - www.winepros.com.au
sanjay
No! Not the fridge - into the mouth!

Oh Yes. The left over stuff can be stored in a cool place which could be the fridge, although back in the coolness of the cellar is an option.

sanjay

TORB
Absolutly, on a hot day there is nothing wrong with putting a bottle of red in the fridge for an hour or so to cool it down. Click here for more on this subject.

Cheers Ric

Davo
Absobloodylutely. Here in Perth unless your plonk is stored in an airconned area sticking it in the fridge for a short period (say 15 to 30 minutes) prior to pouring it into the general region of the gullet is the only way to go.

Cheers, Davo

Scott
The so called 'room temperature' recommendation, is based on a northern hemisphere estimate of 13 - 14 degrees centigrade.

room temperature in an Oz summer has a whole new meaning!

Peter
Depends on the wine and when you are planning to finish the bottle.
If it?s a cheaper wine that is made to drink as soon as it is bottled, you could put it in the fridge after it has been opened.
Penfolds recommended drinking temperature for their reds is 18 degrees. And I much prefer drinking my red wine around this temperature, I find 13 to 14 degrees to low. It allows the aromas to lift from the glass and opens up the flavour of the wine.
Whatever you do if you are planning on putting it in the fridge, make sure that removed it from the fridge and allow it plenty of time to reach room temperature before you drink it, otherwise you may find the wine closed and tasteless.

Davo
Peter,

Room temp in Perth (Oz) today is around 35C. We actually put red in the fridge for a while to stop it boiling. {:-)

Cheers, Davo

Peter
Davo,
If you need to take your red wine from your storage area and then put it in the fridge before opening it, I would suggest pouring your wine into the general region of the gullytrap not your gullet. If your storage place is that hot I am sure that good wines make great vinegar for your salads.{:-)

Gregg,
Where abouts do you live?

Cheers, Peter

Davo
Peter,

My comment was in reply to your "allow plenty of time for wine to come to room temp". My plonk is sitting at about 18C at present with outside temp in the 30s.

Cheers, Davo

Brom
It is a good idea. The wine will keep overnight better and oxidize less when chilled. As noted, remove from the fridge 30-40 minutes before drinking the next da

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.