Eating and drinking around Australia's South West »
Fine wine and food in Perth, Margaret River, Busselton and beyond
Contributed articles and stories
The South West corner of Australia is jam-packed with culinary abundance and at first glance you could be overwhelmed by the choices. Premium wines to taste, vineyard lunches to linger over and craft beer to discover. And then there's the natural world as well. So much to choose from, where to start?
In the overall region marketed as Australia's South West you'll find the regions of Geographe, Blackwood River Valley, Margaret River, Southern Forestsand Great Southern, all overflowing with wine, local food and now craft beer. You can't hurry these things so here's some inspiration for some leisurely long weekends and more, designed to maximise your enjoyment:
Margaret River – 3 Day Wine Wander
Perth - Bunbury - Margaret River - Pemberton - Perth
- Head for Bunbury via Harvey to enjoy wines from the Geographe Wine Region. Take in lunch at one of the many Bunbury cafes and restaurants.
- Continue on to the world-renowned Margaret River Wine Region. Spend the afternoon sampling wines and local delicacies and find somewhere to stay, nestled in the forest.
- Continue your adventure the next day, filling in the morning with galleries and attractions before a sumptuous winery lunch.
- Travel to Pemberton where majestic karri trees are dotted around picture-postcard wineries. Enjoy a dinner of local produce not forgetting the local delicacy, marron.
- Head north in the morning to the award winning wineries around Manjimup.
- Journey back to Perth, passing through the Blackwood River Valley known for its cider and fruit wines.
Great Southern – 3 Day Wine Wander
Perth - Mount Barker - Albany - Denmark - Perth
- Fast track to the Great Southern Wine Region and begin your wine tasting in Mount Barker.
- Then a picturesque drive through the awesome Porongurup Range to Albany with a meal of fresh local produce at one of the many restaurants.
- The next day, follow the stunning southern coastline to Denmark where wineries, and galleries are dotted along the Scotsdale Tourist Drive.
- Enjoy a relaxing night before heading north back towards Mount Barker. Drop in at any wineries you missed along the way as you journey back to Perth.
5 to 7 Day Extensive Wine Wander
Perth - Busselton - Margaret River - Pemberton - Denmark - Albany - Mount Barker - Perth
- Begin your journey in the South West Tapestry region that produces a range of fresh produce and is emerging as a quality wine growing area, before a big afternoon sampling the Margaret River Wine Region's many delicacies including olives, cheeses, preserves and chocolate.
- Spend the night in Margaret River and break up the next day's wine tasting with a trip through a local cave or visit some galleries before heading to Pemberton.
- The cool climate wines produced around Pemberton and Manjimup are superb and are complemented by the fresh produce of the area. Enjoy a night surrounded by the karri forest before heading towards the rugged southern coastline.
- Enjoy a picnic on the Nornalup Inlet at Walpole before continuing on to the wineries surrounding Denmark. End your day here in the tranquil surrounds.
- Your last few days can be spent exploring the wineries around the Porongurup Range and Mount Barker. The Great Southern produces a wide range of fresh produce including berries, marron and succulent oysters all waiting to be enjoyed before you head back to Perth.
These itineraries provided by Australia's South West
Scroll down for lots more information
- South West Coast (WA)
- South West WA (WA)
To see our recommendations, ratings and reviews you must be a logged-in subscriber.
To subscribe please enter your email address in the "Subscribe Now - it's Free" box on the right and click the "Join" button, or fill in this form >